GEM clients include market participants, service providers, and industry associations in the derivatives industry. GemScribe,
the FpML viewer/editor, is used by hundreds of users at dozens of firms across the derivatives industry. The Data Standards
Working Group specification is being used by dozens of firms for development of position reporting feeds. Through its advisory
services to ISDA, GEM supports FpML users' needs across a wide spectrum of firms. GEM also provides advisory and development
services directly to other firms.
Sample client engagements:
- For a custodian, advise on development of an FpML-based STP feed from an asset manager affiliated with a major derivatives
dealer, and perform market research and competitive analysis.
- For Citco, a major fund administrator, develop extensions to FpML for sending trade allocation instructions for listed and
OTC instruments to prime brokers, and provide development asistance.
- For a major hedge fund, develop software for extracting data from FpML-format files into simpler flat files.
- For ISDA, the OTC derivatives industry association, provide advisory services on development of the FpML standard.
- For a software vendor, provide advisory services including market analysis and positioning advice.
- For a top-5 OTC derivatives dealer, provide software and advisory services for adopting FpML in an STP feed.
"We went to Global Electronic Markets because of their experience and deep knowledge of the derivatives industry," said Tim
Matthews, co-founder of Ipedo. "Their advice helped our team get up to speed on FpML and the FpML marketplace so we could
define our market strategy and start meeting with prospective customers."
Some representative clients:
- ISDA - The International Swaps and Derivatives Association - has been a GEM client for nearly a decade. Brian Lynn chairs
several working groups for ISDA, and provides strategic advice and techical assistance. GEM has developed a variety of types
of documentationa and training materials for ISDA. GEM as develops the FpML Editor/Viewer that ISDA makes avaialable to its
- Omgeo LLC has been a long-term client and partner. GEM's FpML Mediator FpML-based portfoliio reconciliation technology is
a basis of Omgeo's award-winning CrossCheck service.
- Data Standards Working Group, a group of hedge funds and major dealers lead by Citadel Group, engaged GEM to develop an FpML-based
specification for position and valuation reporting. The standard has been used by over a dozen hedge funds and a similar
number of investment banks for reporting detailed trade economics and valuations.
- A major Chicago-based exchange engaged GEM to assist it to develop an FpML 5-based interface for clearing OTC derivatives.
- An industry-leading data integration software tools vendor engaged GEM to develop a thought-leadership paper on the evolution
of trading IT in the 21st Century.
- A major fund administrator engaged GEM to identify OTC derivative trends affecting their business and recommend strategies
to leverage those trends.
- Citco Fund Services engaged GEM to develop an extension to FpML to allow it to report trade instructions on a wide variety
of non-derivative and derivative products to clearing brokers. They used this to develop an easier-to-maintain feed to their
- BNP Paribas licensed GEM's FpML Mediator matching engine to reconcile real-time STP flows between front and back office applications.